Dressers are a type of furniture typically used in the bedroom to store clothing and other personal items. They consist of a rectangular shaped piece of furniture on short legs that contains a parallel series of horizontal drawers set in a framework. A dresser is also referred to as a chest of drawers or a bureau.
Types of Dresser
Most dressers are made from wood, although they can also be made of metal, or plastic. Dressers typically come in two different heights and are sometimes referred to as:
- Lowboy - lower dressers that tend to be about waist high, frequently consists of a mirror attached to a dresser that is lower in height
- Highboy - also called chest on chest, these higher dressers tend to be about shoulder height, and are able to accommodate more drawers.
Dressers typically have either, 5, 6, or 7 drawers. The drawers are accessed from the front and have pulls, bails, or knobs so the user can open them up to place their belongings in. The top drawer is either a single drawer or divided into two smaller drawers side by side. Dressers hold socks, underwear, t-shirts, and other clothing that is not hung in a closet.
Dressers come in a variety of styles, everything from plain and utilitarian to ornate, complete with lion's paw feet and pediments gracing the top. Types of woods and finishes will vary according to the design or style of the dresser. Dressers are not just confined to the bedroom; however, they can be useful in a hallway or a bathroom as well.
Purchasing Quality Dressers
In general, dressers that are considered to be fine pieces of furniture are made from cherry, maple, oak, mahogany, or birch. Other indications that dressers are well-made and of good quality include:
- Drawer glides made out of wood instead of plastic or metal
- Utilization of dovetailing, a wood joinery technique, on the sides of the drawers
- A smooth motion when drawers are pulled open and pushed shut
- Drawers, when pulled all the way out, should not fall out
- The drawers, when closed, are flush with the frame
- The interior of the drawer is made from real wood instead of particle board
- The piece sits evenly on the floor.